Judge Orders MRED to Restore Zillow Listing Feeds Across Chicago

Judge Orders MRED to Restore Zillow Listing Feeds Across Chicago

CHICAGO—Chicago-area home listings are officially back on Zillow after a federal judge ordered Midwest Real Estate Data (MRED) to restore the listing feeds it had cut off earlier this week.

The ruling marks a major development in the growing legal fight between Zillow, MRED and Compass over private listings, transparency and control over housing data.

What Happened?

On Friday afternoon, U.S. District Judge John Tharp Jr. granted Zillow’s request for a preliminary injunction, requiring MRED to reconnect Zillow’s IDX and VOW listing feeds after they had been suspended days earlier.

The cutoff had a significant impact across the Chicago market.

According to reports, roughly 43,000 active listings, representing nearly all of MRED’s inventory, temporarily disappeared from Zillow and Trulia after the MLS shut off access Wednesday morning.

The issue escalated quickly after Zillow filed an antitrust lawsuit against both MRED and Compass earlier this month.

Why MRED Cut Zillow Off

MRED argued Zillow violated its licensing agreements by selectively removing nine listings that the MLS claimed were being marketed legally under its rules.

Zillow, however, said those listings were tied to its broader policy on “private listings,” a controversial practice where homes are marketed privately before appearing publicly online.

Last year, Zillow implemented a rule stating that any listing marketed to consumers privately must also appear publicly on Zillow within one business day, or risk being banned from the platform.

MRED claimed Zillow’s selective enforcement violated its agreements with the MLS and gave the company until May 19 to correct the issue. When Zillow did not comply, MRED suspended its listing feeds.

Zillow Says the Fight Is About Transparency

Zillow framed the ruling as a victory for consumers and market transparency.

In a statement to HousingWire, a Zillow spokesperson called the judge’s decision:

“An important first step for the Chicago home buyers, sellers and agents who have been harmed by a coordinated scheme between MRED and Compass to reduce transparency in the housing market.”

The company went further, accusing major industry players of attempting to limit public access to listings during a time when affordability and inventory shortages remain major housing concerns.

“In the middle of a housing affordability crisis, powerful industry players colluded to hide listings, suppress competition and steer consumers toward a single dominant brokerage,” the spokesperson added.

The Bigger Battle Over Private Listings

At the center of the dispute is the growing use of private or “hidden” listings within the real estate industry.

Traditionally, homes listed on the MLS become widely visible across public search platforms like Zillow. But brokerages such as Compass have increasingly embraced private listing networks and “coming soon” marketing strategies that limit public visibility early in the sales process.

Supporters argue this gives sellers more control and flexibility.

Critics argue it reduces transparency, limits competition, and can make it harder for buyers to access the full market.

Zillow’s lawsuit alleges that MRED and Compass coordinated efforts to pressure Zillow into carrying private Compass listings nationwide. The company claims those actions amount to anti-competitive behavior under the federal Sherman Antitrust Act.

Compass and MRED had not publicly responded to the ruling as of Friday afternoon.

Why This Matters for Buyers and Sellers

For consumers, the immediate impact was clear.

Thousands of listings temporarily disappeared from one of the country’s most-used home search platforms, creating confusion for buyers and reducing visibility for sellers.

The situation also highlighted something many consumers don’t realize:

No single real estate website fully controls listing data. Platforms like Zillow rely heavily on MLS feeds and brokerage partnerships to display inventory.

As legal battles over listing transparency continue, buyers may increasingly rely on multiple search tools, including local MLS-powered brokerage websites, to get a more complete picture of available inventory across the Chicago market.

What Happens Next?

The injunction restores Zillow’s access for now, but the larger legal fight is far from over.

The lawsuit could have major implications for:

  • Private listing networks

  • MLS control over data distribution

  • Brokerage competition

  • How listings are displayed online nationwide

And because Chicago sits at the center of one of the country’s largest regional MLS systems, the outcome could influence real estate platforms far beyond the Midwest.

For now, though, Chicago-area listings are back online — and the broader battle over the future of real estate transparency is just getting started.

More to Explore: Thousands of Chicago Home Listings Just Vanished From Zillow. Here’s What’s Happening

Looking for homes, condos, or investment opportunities in Chicago?

Start Your Search With Option Premier

Visit Option Premier

Stay Connected

Ranked among the top 1% of real estate teams in the Chicagoland market, Cory Tanzer and the Cory Tanzer Group are experts in helping buyers and sellers navigate today’s market across Downtown Chicago, the North Shore, and the Western Suburbs. Recognized for their neighborhood expertise in areas such as University Village, University Commons, South Loop, and Pilsen, the team helps clients stay one step ahead by understanding where the Chicago market is headed next.

Related Articles